So often in our lives we find ourselves met with disappointment. We even, at times, face disappointments and setbacks so much that we don't feel that bouncing back is probable. Maybe you didn’t qualify for a new promotion, or maybe something more serious happened like a relationship not working out, the death of a loved one, or some kind of illness in your body. Despite this, the reality is that we’re all going to suffer some setbacks. It's very easy to get discouraged, lose your enthusiasm, succumb to a lack of motivation, or be tempted to just settle where you are. But when we get knocked down, we must either CHOOSE to stay down or set ourselves up for a comeback!
But how?!?! How do you overcome adversities that come against you? How do you peel yourself back up again? How do you keep going? I remember some time ago reading a quote that stuck out to me. It read that "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." Resiliency is your ability to adapt to stress and adversity. It is your personally manufactured resource to deal with what happens to you in your life. I also heard someone say, “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond.” Are you currently going through a situation that seems beyond your control? Do you doubt your abilities? Do you feel that there is no light at the end of the tunnel? Let me be the first to encourage you today! Your attitude and thinking have to change. Your role in this process is simply switching over from an attitude of fear and doubt to an attitude of faith. But, how do you change your attitude? Start by changing what comes out of your mouth. Instead of speaking about your situation, speak to your situation. No longer use your words to prophecy on your life. Use YOUR words to motivate yourself. When you start speaking like that, soon your mind and heart will grab hold of this truth, and it won’t be long before your actions lead you in the direction of those thoughts and feelings.
Are you at a breaking point in your life today? Has this year been a challenge for you? Are you just tired and frustrated? Let TODAY be preparation for your comeback! Wherever you are in your process remember these key items:
1. Cleanse - Remove distractions inhibiting your growth or progress. For some that may be social media. For others it may be friends or family. Consider what is contributing to and/or withholding you from where you would like to be. If it is not adding to your life... CUT IT!
2. Deal in the NOW - Focusing on tomorrow or next week brings us worry and we don't need to be anxious about variables outside of our control. Don't dwell on the past. Take it one day at a time and as your focus on tomorrow decreases, your focus in the present will increase.
3. Find YOUR strength - Is your religion your strength? Are your children your motivation? Do you have a trusted source? Consult with and harvest what you need from those sources to replenish your energy and devotion to your goals.
4. Be consistent - Make consciously effective choices. If you’re not making as much progress as you would like, the key is to not lose any ground. Don’t go backwards. Hold your position and keep moving forward.
5. Be unafraid to start over - When in doubt... Begin again! When you feel scared... Begin again! When you're second guessing if it's even worth it... Begin again! Revisiting the aforementioned and reminding yourself of why your efforts are necessary is your attempt to retrain your brain into constantly being flexible to starting over. You MUST continue to have faith in yourself. Having that attitude of expectancy for your efforts will keep you in the mind frame of working toward change in your life rather than waiting for it.
You may never understand why your relationship ended. You may never understand why you lost a beloved loved one. You may never even understand why you're going through such difficult times or why your prayers aren't being answered. But at some point, you have to decide to put your questions aside. You have to decide to move forward. I'm not saying by any means that this process will be easy, but it will be worth it once you come out on the other side. Take a step of faith today and begin preparing for your COMEBACK! There's plenty of happiness in this world to go around, so find your slice!
Please feel free to share your thoughts or inspiring experience!